Love the next pup to be featured in the Breed Showcase! Pets have that miraculous way of making us happy and centered despite whatever may be going on in our lives. This quote from Pink hits it on the head!!
“I’ve always felt that animals are the purest spirits in the world. They don’t fake or hide their feelings and they are the most loyal creatures on Earth. And somehow we humans think we’re smarter….what a joke.”
I love when pet parents want to share in the love on this corner of the web and what a way to stand out from the pack than the bright smile of Muffin. Alittle more #sunsouttonguesout just in time for summer! Enjoy
What is your dog’s name/nickname:
Muff or Muffie
How old is he/she?
9 months old or 11.25 dog years (I used a dog’s conversion calculator, not sure how accurate it is!)
How did you both come to be together?
My friend met with a breeder in Geelong. They are her family friend. She called me knowing that I wanted a puppy so I’ve asked for a photo. I saw baby muffin and I said I would drive down to Geelong to meet with her parents. It was about 2 hours drive from where I live. It was nervewrecking, I never had a dog before but have often play with my partner’s and friend’s dogs. When we arrived at the place, we saw Muffin and her sisters. Muffin was jumping around, pouncing on her sister and when she saw us, she prance up to us, I picked her up and said Yes, this is my puppy!
What are his/her favorite playthings?
Unlike other dogs, she doesn’t have a particular toy that she’s obsessed. She actually really loves being chased. She brings any of her toys to us, tempt us to take it away from her and run away quickly. If we don’t chase her, she will come up to us again inviting us to play.
How would you describe your dog’s personality?
She is very adaptive and carefree. I would say she is very very independent as well. Anyone who have met her would have known this. She tends to walk on her and scout new places. Surprisingly, she is much more intrigued with her surroundings when she is at a new place. If you have a packet of treats, she would sit for 5 seconds but if you don’t give it to her, she will just walk away and wonder around.
If your pup had one superpower, what would it be?
Self healing! She injured herself when she was younger, although it was not serious at all but it made me really worried. If she has super healing powers, I’ll never have to worry again.
How do you manage work, play, and puppy-time?
It is not as bad as I thought it would be. My sister comes home from school early and often spend time with Muffin. Once my partner and I are home, we usually take Muffin out for walks or just let her run freely at an oval near our place. The place is fully fenced and there are lights at night!
How can you forget that face! Thanks for dropping by Muffin You can catch more of this cutie on Instagram.
Every pet owner would agree that having a dog is more than just owning a pet-it’s actually similar to welcoming another family member within your home. Therefore, it’s reasonable to feel worried and scared once your cute little friend catches boring parasites. Although worms belong to the group of most common “nasties” that your puppy can hook, it doesn’t mean they are harmless. Apart from obvious symptoms that heartworms and hookworms cause, you should know that your dog may also get tapeworms, roundworms and whipworms which are more likely to lead to hardly recognizable indications. Therefore, it’s very important to learn how to discover that your pup was attacked with worms, and what you should undertake in order to exterminate them.
Figure out what symptoms worms cause
The possibility of worm’s contagion is not limited just to younger dogs, even adult ones can get them, but they often make greater health issues to little puppies. Bear in mind that dog may have worms for a long time without any signs of it, and once visible symptoms appear, it means that the number of parasites increased significantly, or dog’s organism is pretty weak to handle it. The most usual symptoms which refer to worm’s presence are related to:
- Sudden and rapid weight loss – If you notice obvious weight reducing and inexplicable lack of appetite, it may indicate that the dog has worms. Besides, weight loss can sometimes escalate and result in skinny body structure.
- Extreme energetic collapse – Most dogs that have worms lose their cheerful behavior and start to be indifferent, tired and sleepy.
- Diarrhea and vomiting – Frequent vomiting may be certain sign of worms within canine body, and particular worm types are easily noticeable in dog’s puke. As well as this, persistent and durable diarrhea, especially if it’s followed with blood, can serve you as sure symptom of worm’s presence.
- Low quality of hair coat and skin diseases – Hair coat of puppies infected with worms has bad visual appearance due to low shine, dried hair surface and brittleness. Not so rare, worms lead to excessive molt which can bring to great lack of hair on dog’s body. Apart from this, if you spot that your dog constantly scratches itself or if particular body parts are affected with rash, there’s a strong assumption that it has worms.
- Progressive cough – Some parasites, but heartworms especially, tend to pupate within dog’s lungs or heart, causing oft coughing episodes. Therefore, any prolonged cough can give you one more reason to believe your pet is a host to worms.
How to release your puppy from worms?
If you noticed that your dog has one or all of the above symptoms, it would be recommendable to start anti-worms treatment timely, to prevent parasites to challenge dangerous health problems. Anyway, you can seek veterinarian advice and ask him to determine the exact type of intestinal worm, with an aim to create efficient combination of medicaments you should give to the dog. As a great de-worming option, you can use high quality worming tablets for dogs, which you can include in canine meals or drinks to enable your dog to swallow it easily. Besides, anti-worm medications are also available in the form of liquids and granules, but whatever you choose, remember that it can’t completely eliminate all kinds of worms. One of the greatest remedy you should consider is actually prevention, so ensure your beloved puppy consumes uncontaminated food, perform regular check-ups, and above everything, keep its space clean and neat.
Roxana is an adventurer, a frequent traveler, and an animal loving person from Sydney, Australia. She is very passionate about the environment and she loves to write about topics that interest her. Roxana is a proud mom of two really clumsy dogs Brando and Astor, and a mischievous cat Archibald.
The bond between boy and dog is real in this series of photographs from lifestyle photographer Stasha Becker. Her instagram account captures the bond between her son Julian and his two Newfoundland pups Bruce and Max. An arabian stallion named Vizon rounds out this adorable bunch. Here are some snippets from the series…
Follow Northwest Mommy for more of the series
There’s no way around it – some dogs just love to shred whatever plaything they can get their teeth on. There’s no worse feeling than finding out that new toy I got at Petsmart has been demolished a couple weeks later (much to the chagrin of my wallet!).
Alas, in comes the durable dog toys. While even the toughest of toys aren’t 100% guaranteed to withstand the test of time, there are plenty of options that dogs can’t sink their teeth into that easily. The following toys are some of the tried and true options amongst pet parents of aggressive chewers…
1. KONG Duck Dog Toy – I love this cute little guy No messy filling and high quality plush material make this a great option for small-ish dogs that love squeaker toys.
2. Nylabone Just For Puppies Chew Toy – For pups going through that teething phase this should satisfy that craving just fine. This one does double-duty as the bristles will help clean teeth and prevent tartar buildup. Not a bad deal.
3. Nylabone Dental Chew Bone - Another option from Nylabone with a softer, flexible feel for moderate chewers and small dogs.
4. KONG Pudge Braidz Pig Dog Toy, Medium/Large – Again, another contender in the oh-so-cute crowd.
5. Kong Medium Puppy Toy - You can’t go wrong with Kong! These super tough toys are always a great choice and a market leader in heavy-duty options. Soothe a puppies urge to chew with the original stuffed with peanut butter and frozen for a few hours. A delicious treat!
7. Kyjen Octopus – Your pup will be shakin’ and flappin’ these multi-leg creatures. They’re affordable so if the squeaker ever needs replaced it’s not a big hit in the wallet. Along of dogs love to just hear the unique sound of these though so will hold off chewing.
8. Kyjen Hide-A-Squirrel – It’s cute watching the pups trying to retrieve the squirrels in this Kyjen classic. Perfect for dogs that love this general type of play (stuffed things, digging, hide and seek).
Follow The Pet Anthology
I loved reading the story of Gluta. Sooner after being rescued from the streets in Thailand and placed in her forever home, is was soon discovered she was suffering from metritis (a condition that affects the uterus).
After removing her uterus doctors unfortunately found she was also suffering from cervical cancer. The tumor was removed after chemotherapy treatments and Gluta was able to fully recover, but how she reacted after getting healthy is really a sign of how much she’s had to endure and the appreciation she now has for life
Check out some of her pics below. I’m pretty sure she deserves a metal for being an awesome sport in the face of adversity! (Well, her book will suffice!)
Hop on over to Instagram for more pics.